You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.Galileo Galilei (1564—1642)
Italian mathematician, astronomer, philosopher
Every individual learns only for him or herself. But as a trainer we offer and support this in learning many ways.
- We create awareness of what remains to be learned and a desire to learn it.
- We enable the right attitude to learn.
- We create the atmosphere where learning is possible.
- We support participants in finding the right learning techniques.
- We ease learning by adopting an approach suitable to the student.
- We provide the right material for group and self-study.
- We guide people on the right path and suggest improvements.
- We are role models and suggest role models — including literature.
- We give feedback and motivate.
- We encourage further learning and guide people by asking the right questions.
In order to help a participant find the right path, you need to be aware about learning in trainings and workshops and how to support them in the best possible way.
This not an easy task. You need to find out their
- channels of communication
- their interest and attitude
- their personal goals (what motivates, what drives them)
It’s an advantage to have an homogenous group with the same interests and needs. However, this is too seldom the case. In other words, a good workshop is a mix offering something to every participant.